In 7th and 8th grade Confirmation at St. John, everything your child learns is based off God’s Word, that is, the Holy Bible. To aid teacher and student in maneuvering through the many pages of Scripture, we use the following resources in class.
- This is nothing more than the Bible itself made accessible for youth with pictures and contemporary questions with answers. This Bible is the first step in a Bible Study resource to introduce children to tools such as a concordance.
- While our younger grade school students are now using the English Standard Version (ESV) of the Bible, our current 7th & 8th graders are still using the New International Version (NIV 1984) that they received in second grade.
- The “Faith Alive” Bible can be purchased through Concordia Publishing House.
Luther’s Small Catechism
- Martin Luther wrote his catechism in 1529 to aid both pastors and parents in teaching the basics of the faith, especially to the young.
- Luther’s Small Catechism contains nothing more than the words of Scripture, organized into 6 main topics or teachings in the Christian faith, accompanied by some simple explanations from Martin Luther. The majority of this book is the Small Catechism itself broken down into questions and answers that many Christians and seekers ask today; these answers are each backed by various Bible passages.
- This particular version includes blank pages interleaved between each page of text, allowing for room for student notes.
- The catechism is provided to students by the Elders of the congregation. An additional copy can be purchased through Concordia Publishing House.
- Applying Luther’s Catechism aids your child in processing the words of Scripture, along with Luther’s explanations, and helps each youth apply God’s Word to life.
- The workbook has exercises and assignments that will be accomplished both in and out of class to aid in instruction.
- Applying Luther’s Catechism is provided for our parochial students as part of their regular textbook fees and school registration. For our public school students on Wednesday evenings, the price is currently $16.00 and is available through the Church Office.
- 7th graders–you MUST keep the workbook for use in your 8th grade year as well! Don’t lose it!! Additional copies are available at Concordia Publishing House.